Private health insurance in case of unemployment


Can I be exempted from compulsory insurance?

Can I be exempted from compulsory insurance?

They may also be privately insured during unemployment. For that you need to be exempted from compulsory insurance in the health and nursing care. However, this is only possible if you have already had private health insurance in the last five years before you received ALG I.

But before you can get rid of the compulsory insurance, you should consider whether you should not switch to the statutory health insurance better. As a single-earning spouse with children, changing over to unemployment often makes sense. The relatives then benefit from the free family insurance in the GKV.

For double earners or singles things are often different: If you expect only a short-term unemployment, it is often worth staying in the private health insurance. An alternative to this is the entitlement insurance that private health insurers offer for the transitional period. This insured can ensure their return to the private health insurance on the old conditions without re-examination. Check with your insurer for the premiums. These depend on the provider at 5 to 30 percent of the regular premium.

If you want to stay privately insured, you should apply for exemption from compulsory insurance within three months of receiving unemployment benefits. You submit the application to the responsible health insurance company. If your application is successful, it will apply from the moment you start compulsory insurance. Further information can be found in a leaflet of the Federal Employment Agency.

But beware: If you have already used statutory health insurance benefits in the meantime, the exemption will only apply from the calendar month following your application . If you do not file the application within the three months, you will not be able to get rid of it.

If you are exempt, the Federal Employment Agency pays a subsidy to the private health insurance. It transfers as much as your compulsory membership would cost in the statutory health and long-term care insurance.

You can keep your existing private insurance rate, but also adjust the amount of the excess and the benefits to your new situation. But you should think twice about that. If you later want to return to the old tariff or want better performance again, a new health check is usually necessary.